Cover Model.

After what feels like an age of deliberating, I have finally decided that I am going to model the front cover of my magazine on the WE LOVE POP Cher Lloyd Edition, and Rolling Stone the Eminem Cover. I have chosen these two for many reasons.

I believe that the We Love Pop magazine has a very good, clear layout, and can be distinguished with its use of colours. The Master Head is very recognisable, and continues as a logo throughout the magazine, a factor that I wish to implement into my magazine. I am not crazy about the colour scheme of this magazine for my own cover. This is purely because the word "Underground" itself is quite a dark word, and because this is the genre of my magazine, I am not sure that light, bright, pastel colours, would give the effect that I desire for my magazine. Because We Love Pop is such a new magazine; I found that they put a lot of the inside content information on the cover, almost sell the magazine to the buyer before it is sold. This is something Rolling Stone doesn’t do because it is already an established magazine in its own right. I believe that I will also have to put a similar amount of inside content on the cover as We Love Pop because my magazine will also be a new one, and I feel that with any new magazine, readers need to be sold before they buy it.




I chose this particular cover of Rolling stone because I like the darkness and seriousness behind it. In this picture Eminem does not show his entire face, but he is instantly recognisable. I am aware that pulling this off with a magazine that is designed for underground artists would be more difficult because whatever artist that is on the front of my magazine would not be instantly recognised. However I have concluded that not showing the whole face of my artist, of shooting him/her at an angle, could be used as a tool to get consumers to want to look inside to find out who the artist is. Being partly hidden is also a continuous convention with underground artists. They are usually hidden behind sunglasses, hats ect. This also made me think about what my artist on the cover would be wearing. Eminem is a hip hop artist, the hoodie has for many years been associated with this genre of music. Just like underground music has its own almost representitive label. I will be ensuring that my cover artist will be wearing OBEY.  As mentioned earlier, Rolling stone magazine has very minimal information about what is in the magazine on their front cover. I like this, but do not feel that it’s something I would be able to implement into my magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment